Macy

Macy

Monday, May 23, 2011

First Hem/Onc Tomorrow

First off we had a pretty good weekend!  Some family from up north came to visit, and it was really nice to see them.  The weather was beautiful and I love taking Macy outside for walks.  I can't wait to de-winterize the boat and get out to the lake with her.  The lake is one of our favorite places and we will definitely be spending a lot time there this spring, summer, and fall.
Currently my favorite picture of Macy....all smiles of course!
Tomorrow is Macy's first hematology/oncology appointment at the children's hospital here.  I know they will be taking blood (I hate her having to get poked all the time), and hopefully they will be able to answer some questions.  I know they will be doing CBC's regularly because once her counts start to go down that is the first sign of bone marrow failure.  I am hoping we will have many years before she has an abnormal CBC.  Most kids are in complete bone marrow failure around the age of 7; so I am not sure what age it usually begins.  If all goes according to plan and is successful; Macy should have her transplant long before this time; then we just have to watch out for all the cancers.  Those with FA are anywhere from 700 to a thousand times at a higher risk of developing many cancers and develop them decades earlier than the general population.    The most common are Leukemia, Head and Neck cancer, GI cancers, and Reproductive organ cancers.


Anwho; we are trying to stay positive and I am doing a lot better at not thinking about it all the time.  We are trying our best to just live our lives to the fullest and take one day at a time.  I will update tomorrow on how her appointment goes.  Lets pray they are able to get a vein the first time they try to take Macy's blood.  Her veins are really hard to get and she usually has to be poked 4 or 5 times....poor thing!
Me & Macy girl....she loves the front carrier!

No comments:

Post a Comment