Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Hand Update

Somehow we got lucky, and Macy only has 1 appointment in November!!! (whoooo hooo!)  She had her hand appointment on Monday.  Her Dr. said that her left hand (the one she had the pollicization on) looks like it has healed well.  There is scarring and some scar tissue.  Over time that tissue will soften some and he said we can help it along by massaging it.  That's not too easily done on a 1 year old so I have been trying to think of creative ways of holding Macy's hands and squeezing them while she is learning to stand and walk so she doesn't notice I'm doing it.  Other than that she doesn't like people messing with her hands.  She is slowly starting to use it more and more.  Still isn't pinching (finger to thumb) yet, but that will come.  

(I just noticed that I am the queen of run-on sentences...luckily I'm not an English teacher, hehehe)

Originally we had planned on her other hand surgery next month.  But her Dr. wants to wait atleast 6 months or so and see how her thumb is developing and how she is using it still.  Right now she does use that thumb to pinch, etc. but the joint at the base of the thumb is very weak so when she puts pressure on it it just bends in half the other way.  Her Dr. and I both agreed that we want to mess with that hand "as little as possible".  I am thinking when the time comes we will just have him stabilize that joint with some muscle transfers and that will be it.  Maybe rotate it a little so it is at a better opposing position.  We'll see.  I must say though I am pretty relieved that there will be no more surgeries in the near future.  They're always so stressful.

For almost the last year Macy has been on both prevacid solutabs and zantac for her reflux.  We have tried many times to wean her off the zantac to see if just the prevacid will work for her but it doesn't.  She really isn't supposed to be on the zantac because it suppresses the bone marrow.  Macy shouldn't be taking anything that does that, but there are no other options.  A week ago we stopped giving her zantac again and we thought for the first time that we had finally gotten rid of it.  But the last couple of days she has started getting her reflux symptoms back.  She has not been sleeping well, she is not eating well and turns away from food, and I notice her refluxing even when she hasn't eaten in several hours.  Oh yea, and she puked twice this week which is the first time in over a month.  So, with much reluctance I have started her zantac again.  UGH!  I really hope we can figure something out soon, because I dread giving that to her.

So, we have officially made our first IVF appointment in December.  I wasn't sure if that was something I wanted to share yet; but it's late at night and I usually end up sharing things I probably shouldn't when I post at night.  Oh I go! It is just a consult; we are still waiting for Macy's gene testing results which now we don't expect until Jan/Feb. but there are so many ducks we need to get in a row before we can start this and this is the first step.  I am trying not to let the statistics discourage me too much.  The numbers that came out last month were that there is only a 12% chance with each cycle that it will result in a baby.  Those are not good fact those are horrible odds.  The stats are much lower than regular IVF because of the PGD part.  There is a chance we could walk away with massive life-long debt from this and no baby; which makes me incredibly nervous since Adam and I have worked so hard to be financially responsible in our lives.  But I choose to believe that this HAS to work for us.  It is Macy's best chance so I am not willing to give up.  Whatever it takes; we will make this happen for her.  She deserves it.

Well that seems to be all the news here for now.  Adam will be gone up north hunting next week so it'll be me and Macy girl!  Maybe we can get some early Christmas shopping in.  And Turkey day is just around the corner!  :)  I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe holiday season!

take care,

No comments:

Post a Comment