Macy

Macy

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

First "shot" not as planned

Last night was day 1 of lupron shots for me.  To tell the truth in the whole prep of doing IVF, doing the stomach shots weren't much on my radar.  They were more of an after-thought to say the least.  I don't mind getting my blood drawn, etc. and I have used the pens to prick my finger to test my blood sugar without a problem so this should have been easy.

I watched the how-to video, and put it next to me on the counter.  Followed the prep, and draw-up directions to a T (minus a little mishap where some sprayed out of the vial as I was pulling the needle out....oops!  Hopefully there's some extra in there).  Then, as I held the needle in one hand, and my skin in the other; I was very surprised when my hand wouldn't move.  I couldn't do it.  There is just something about holding a needle yourself, and having to stab it in your own stomach.  I froze.


So I stood there for literally 10 min. skin pinched and ready to go, but the other hand not moving.  I counted down in my head, 3, 2, 1.....nothing.  Counted back from 10......nothing.  All of a sudden I started realizing that I wasn't going to do it....and it was only the FIRST day.  I have to do it everyday from now on, and knew I was in trouble.


So I yelled for Adam.  He came in and volunteered to do it.  I carefully transferred the syringe in his hand.  As he came near me with it I freaked out and took it back.  We continued this process of handing it back and forth for another 10 minutes.  


Finally, I said okay.  I'll hold the skin, and look up at the ceiling and you jab it in.  So, I looked up said okay.  And he did it.  Whew!  It didn't hurt at all (not even a bee sting), and I knew it wouldn't hurt but I couldn't help it.  I got myself all worked up.


I am really hoping I can do it myself tonight.  But if not, Adam will have to do it for me every night.  Hopefully it won't be a 30 min. charade again though.  (exhale). 



Needle after the injection


Wish me luck!

take care,

Jenn

2 comments:

  1. I feel for you! I had to give myself allergy shots as a teen. It was very similar to what you're describing. I don't remember if I ever succeeded at doing it, though! And, I didn't do the shots for very long at all. I'm not sure I lasted more than a month...or a week. I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't think I could have done that as a teen either. Ouch! I am hoping it will get easier. I did it myself last night at least. :)

      Jenn

      Delete